Wednesday 28 October 2009

"Avoid employing unlucky people - throw half of the pile of CVs in the bin without reading them"


I spent most of yesterday being motivated by people who are paid a lot of money to tweek CVs and say things like 'personal stocktaking'.

I'm being rather cynical; it was good to be away from the laptop and the morning appointment with the career motivators my previous employers had set me up with was inspiring and constructive.

The afternoon three hour seminar entitled 'Tutorial to Help Newly Unemployed Professionals' which sounds a bit too like 'The Derek Zoolander Center For Children Who Can't Read Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too' to take seriously was paid for by the government as part of my jobseekers allowance deal.

There were some excellent points, but the whole experience, from the beige, pokey room to the speaker's terrible jokes, was so David Brent-like that I expected 'Simply The Best' to be blasted out at the end.

Phrase of the day was 'appetite for evidence', something apparently company's currently have.

I on the other hand have an appetite for homemade soup and as a nod, in fact my only nod, to Halloween I'm going to rustle up a pumpkin one.

No comments:

Post a Comment