Monday 26 October 2009

Loafing about


The best thing about 'working' from home, other than getting to watch period dramas all day, is being able to cook and bake inbetween updating my CV.

I only started baking my own bread a few months ago, and to be honest, despite in public being rather evangelic about how easy it is, my loaves have been a bit hit or miss.

The last couple have come on with a hole in the middle and a mushroom like top that just crumbled upon contact with the bread knife.

But I wasn't quite ready to go back to Kingsmill. On Friday, I rustled up one of my finest loaf of breads to date and enjoyed it with a freshly made soup for lunch. I certainly never got that when I was office based.

The soup I cooked was what I call, rather unsnappishly, the 'soup that's not a soup'. It gained notoriety at university amongst some of my friends as it was all I ever seemed to cook.

Is it a stew? Is it a soup? I say it's a soup with substance and soul. Its official name is chickpea and tomato and it's simply leeks, chickpeas, garlic, spinach, courgette and a tin of tomatoes and it's divine. Especially when teamed with a still warm piece of bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment